PAUWES offers a two-year Master of Science programme in Water and Energy, as one of the specialized units of the Pan African University, with the possibility of choosing between the tracks of engineering or policy. In September 2016, the first cohort of 26 students graduated from PAUWES with master’s degrees in water and Energy Engineering from the host institution of the University of Tlemcen in Algeria.
However, support from the project sponsors, the German Federal Ministry of Cooperation and Development, is contingent on a 70% employment rate for each cohort within nine months of graduation. As outputs for the PAUWES engagement, AltGen was retained to conduct a workshop in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, on job searching and acquisition, CV preparation, job matching, and online presence and subsequently provide job placement services matching the participants with the appropriate jobs, internships or trainee programs. The engagement is ongoing, with further input being provided into career services and curriculum development.
Work with the Pan African University of Water and Energy Sciences (PAUWES) in Algeria and Ethiopia included:
- FEB ‘19 – Curriculum Review Workshop, Tlemcen, Algeria
- OCT ‘18 – Career Services Workshop, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- AUG ‘18 – Tracer Study, Remote
- MAR ‘18 – Curriculum Review Workshop, Tlemcen, Algeria
- MAR ‘18 – Employability Workshop, Remote
- DEC ’17 – FEB ‘18 – Tracer Study, Remote
- NOV ‘17 – Employ-ability Workshop, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Through these engagements, AltGen has built a deep understanding of working with students and faculty at the University level, especially in the institution’s development and now consolidation phase.